- high end retouching based on industry standards
- skin retouching | Hautretusche
- hair retouching | Haarretusche
- people-/portrait retouching
- advertising and commercial retouching
- editorial retouching
- look development / color grading for image series or editorials
- art direction
- shooting and project planning with the photographer or art team
- shooting assistance on location or in the Studio
- quality management on location or in the Studio
- project management
- retouching workshops
Jan Wischermann is a freelance retoucher who specialized in the fields of high end beauty, fashion and commercial retouching. With a classic background in graphic design and art direction, he is working for many national and international clients, photographers and agencies. He is working in his office or on location worldwide.
Creative retouching is his life. Everything began with Photoshop in 1996. Quickly it became an intense passion.
The permanently growing performance spectrum from Jan Wischermann results from constant exchange with many experts from his network. Working with a non-destructive retouching-workflow, based on high-end-industrial-standard makes sure that his clients have a reliable partner by their side.
Jan lives with his wife and his son in Düsseldorf.
WHAT IS IMPORTANT TO HIM
Foremost happy clients. Moreover, he received many international awards such as „red dot: best of the best 2009“, iF gold award 2010, was honoured by the Art Directors Club in 2010, nominated for the German Designpreis der Bundesrepublik Deutschland in 2011 and he was named Official Honoree by the Webby Awards 2010 in New York.
WHAT DID JAN WISCHERMANN LEARN FROM WORKING AS A PROFESSIONAL IN THE CREATIVE INDUSTRY? WHAT IS HIS PHILOSOPHY?
- It is given that he always orientates himself towards the source material and the members of the creative team.
- If you cannot tell a picture has been retouched – he has done a good job.
- Respecting the work of the photographers, stylists, hair- and make-up artists and last but not least the models and optimize their results is what a high-end retoucher is all about. Because there is no room for the retoucher’s egoshow.
- To Jan Wischermann high-end retouching doesn’t mean fixing a bad picture. It means to look at a good picture, to reflect and lastly to enhance it. Good quality source material is essential.
- It is not his goal to retouch everything that is technically possible but only to retouch the elements that disturb at first sight.
- Seeing the picture as a whole is what counts the most to Jan Wischermann.
- A good concept is fundamental. Every step of his work flow has a certain reason, dividing every motive into four important aspects: composition, colour, light/shadow and texture.
- One of Jan Wischermann’s strengths is working with a non-destructive work-flow. That brings a great advantage as it allows to retrace and if needed to adjust every step.
This approach saves a lot of time.
- It goes without saying that he fulfills his clients’ jobs accurately and with great interest for a perfect and natural outcome.
- As it is important to him to constantly evolve himself and his techniques he makes sure to read a lot, to stay hungry for the new, and is in exchange with other professionals out of his network. That way he broadens his horizon. Nowadays it is easy to stay up-to-date, stagnating is as unacceptable as saying one is fully trained.
- „Nothing compares to our youth – it makes my job easier!“
- „My decisions and my sense for the new are based on intuition. Like most people, I have my best ideas when I am asleep.”
- “I am not afraid of mistakes because they are the best teachers.“
- „We are Ninjas – our tracks within our work are not supposed to be traceable.“